Can anyone Help me Identify my Engine

· 5 · 2259

Big Al

• Name: Allan Murray
Can anyone Help me Identify my Engine
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
I have a 2.5 NA Diesel engine in my Series 11/a SWB and i want to try and identify what the engine
came from. I was told it came from a defender but nowing my luck it may be from a sherpa van.

Can anyone help ?

Regards

Big Al
Me Cadman!

Series 2a

jay2578

Re: Can anyone Help me Identify my Engine
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:22:26 PM »
Any more info on the engine, pics etc?

FerryScoob

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:23:29 PM »
I have a 2.5 NA Diesel engine in my Series 11/a SWB and i want to try and identify what the engine
came from. I was told it came from a defender but nowing my luck it may be from a sherpa van.

Can anyone help ?

Regards

Big Al

I have been told that the engine in my series 3 is a sherpa. Here is a pic.

hope this helps.

sj72blair

• Name: Steven Blair
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:48 PM »
Hi Big Al,
            the difference between the sherpa and land rover engine is the timing casing and the position of the injection pump. I rebuilt one in a 1963 IIa lwb, the front cover on the timing casing is a tin plate, basically, and is not sealed against water and dirt where the land rover has an alloy cover and gasket to seal it. The injection pump on the sherpa engine sits higher up on the engine due to the different timing casing which means it fits the standard series engine mounts where a land rover engine requires the o/s engine mount to be modified to clear the injection pump as it's mounted lower down. The sherpa engine uses a different timing belt which can be a bit difficult to locate now but for the rest I used land rover parts.
    Hope this helps.

cheers,
           Stevie.             

ruaritreble

• ruariboy
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:12:20 PM »
Hi

It looks like it is a 15J which came from  the Sherpa. Near to the fuel pump you should find the engine number stamped into the block, 15j xxxxx

I thin the timing belt is 128 teeth where as the landy engines where 124 teeth, or there abouts.
Karis 110 - The perfect way to get a MTB to the top of the hill.
Power to the pedal!

Myrtle Air Portable - V8
------------------------
MM6IIO
------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/ruariboy

http://s826.photobucket.com/home/ruariboy